Friday, November 1, 2013

November 1 Theme: Sweaters




                          Sweater. Itchy, bulky, always too warm. 
That's what I remember from childhood. Mom used to make us wear those ill-fitting, over-sized sweaters from August to May, and I hated every second spent in them. 

As I learned to knit, the world of sweaters magically changed. I could use any kind of yarn, and make a pullover as fitting as I liked. 
During my years as a knitter, I've made several, but I've always been more of a cardigan-girl. Lately, though, I've knit three sweaters I thoroughly love. 

The first one is a raglan-sleeved top with a high collar. It's made with simple ribbed stitch and very light yarn. All in all it would be very basic, but I made it with a little trick. 
I wanted a top with a shorter front hem. A shrug-like pullover, so to speak. So I designed one. I knit mine in decadently delicious orange <3


The second one is fresh off the needles. I've developed a liking towards cables lately, and I wanted to try and turn a classic a bit more modern. 
For this one, I used recycled yarn (50% wool/50% cotton) which made the pullover warm and chunky. In a way, it reminds me of the dreaded childhood-sweaters since it is quite thick... but over the coming winter, I'm sure I will enjoy the warmth it offers, since our house is a bit on the chilly side. 
This sweater features a relatively open neck. To compensate, I knit a cowl to go with it. 




The last one is my absolute favorite. It's made with 100% cotton, and despite the very simple and straight-forward shape, it is both versatile and sexy. My favorite bit is the crochet edging, which gives the pullover a Victorian feel <3




The orange top and the open collared black pullover are available as a knitting patterns, and the black cabled sweater will soon follow, cowl and all. 

Turns out sweaters and pullovers don't need to be itchy and bulky. They can be soft, sleek, and very feminine. The childhood-nightmare has developed into a warm, kind friend, at least in my life <3

Love, 
Heather

25 comments:

  1. I love them all, but that first one is adorable! Do you think it would be suitable for a beginner knitter? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, dear Insomniac ^^ In my opinion, the orange top isn't very difficult to knit. It can be confusing since its construction is a bit out of the ordinary, but difficult in the true sense of the word, no. I'd label it as "advanced", but I'm sure you'll be able to make one pretty soon :)

      Delete
  2. Your sweaters really are amazingly feminine and pretty! I'd love to own one of the shoulder less version, unfortunately I can't knit one bit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I knit these designs on order as well, so if you really-really want one, please contact me :)

      Delete
  3. Wow your sweaters are so lovely and it's amazing that you designed them all yourself! Do you use a knitting machine or do you knit all by hand? The first top is absolutely fabulous. Are you designing and selling knit patterns? If not I think you should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I knit by hand. for me, it's a way of meditation. For me, it's a nightmare to sit still while watching movies, so I knit :P

      The patterns are available on Craftsy, Ravelry, and my webshop :)

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to purchase your pattern for the last one, because it is unfathomably gorgeous!
    I would love to be able to knit it this winter, but I don't see it up on your Etsy :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The pattern for the last sweater was available on etsy, but the listing expired just a few weeks ago... lazy me forgot to renew... The patterns are available on craftsy and ravelry, though :)

      Delete
  5. The top and bottom ones are my favorites- I don't think I've ever seen a sweater I like as much as that orange one- and I know what you mean about sweaters when you were a kid!!! My mom used to dress me in pastel sweaters with polo shirts and turtlenecks underneath.... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, pastels are the one thing one mustn't endure. I feel for you.

      Delete
  6. Wow, the first and the last one left me speechless. I'm not a fan of sweaters, but those two are really beautiful! Especially the first one, I love it even despite the orange colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) They turned out pretty OK in my opinion, too :)

      Delete
  7. I love the last one, it's so feminine and beautiful :) but I do also really like the neckline on the second one, it's something a bit different rather than just the usual high neck sweater :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I have a sensitive skin, and high, tight collars are really uncomfortable sometimes, so I try to include open necks on many of my designs, just in case someone else out there has similar problems :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, I really like the first one, such a unique shape. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The hem gave me a headache, but turned out it was a simple solution after all :)

      Delete
  9. SQUEEEEE!!!! Love. LOVE. LOVE! I have sweater envy - BIG TIME. These are simply amazing. Brava darling, brava!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bow to your knitting skills. These are all simply amazing!! I am dying to learn to knit, but I know that won't even be a possibility for years (until retirement, I'm sure) - too many other hobbies and committments maxing out my free time, and then some! :(

    I really might need a sweater like that first one.... But in black. :) Email me and let's talk!! sophistiquenoir@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Knitting is a relaxing hobby, hope you'll find time for it someday :)

      I'll email you as soon as today's work is off the table :)

      Delete
  11. woah the first one is the coolest!! i love how the collar part looks unique and cozy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm happy the little orange sweater is so well liked :)

      Delete
  12. I love the first sweater (the orange pullover)! I have never seen anything like that, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I have to admit I really like the design, too :P

      Delete

talk to me