Saturday, June 8, 2013

I shall fix it with my hammer!

As I mentioned a week ago, Husband's family owns a house. It's old, and in pretty bad shape. 
So we rushed to the rescue. Home improvement, here we go! 


It's a two-sided house, and Husband's GrandMa lives on one side. 
It was thought that the bathroom of the house was rotten through, but as Husband bravely ventured under the tiles, he found it dry. There's a small closet next to the bathroom, and in there, he found a few wet boards. Which he removed, carefully (not) and will replace. Or something, I didn't pay that close attention to such petty details. I mean, what's a closet when there's actual rooms to decorate. 


I helped by taking down panels that crowded the living room. 
With my crowbar. 
In the battle of woman vs. wood, woman won. 
And got her abs all sore. 


And then. 
There's two rooms upstairs. One will be the master bedroom, and the other My Studio. The two are connected by a walk-in closet, which is a little detail that got me pretty much jumping to the roof. 

But the thing is. 
At some point, the roof was altered so that the room which will be My Studio got more height. And the roof leaked. 
It was fixed, but no-one bothered to rip the ceiling open, and let it dry. So we got mold. 
EEWWWW!!! 


Luckily, the house is a bit wonky, so air's been going in and out throughout the years, and the mold was actually located on ceiling boards (which were tossed out the window) isolation (which was tossed out the window) and one beam (which will be tossed out the window). So that's sorted. 
Only Husband found we need to fix the roof rather quickly, so we decided to give the house a year, see how it feels, and if it feels good, we'll re-do the roof next spring. 
Pretty scary. I'm starting to feel like a grown-up :|


There's a tree growing next to the house. An old, wise birch tree. It's been there forever, probably since the house was built. 
It's good to know it's watching over us. 

So. Everything that needs to be ripped out has been ripped out. Part from the beam in the roof. 
Next step, shopping for isolation and plywood and planks for the floor. 
I have decided I want painted wood floors in My House. 

4 comments:

  1. You're going to have your own studio! How awesome - I guess you're excited! And a walk-in closet, well, that's just icing on the cake, isn't it? :D

    The trees are beautiful, especially the wise old birch. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit psyched, yes. Can't wait to get to painting the floors, and I've been driving Husband nuts with endless decorating ideas :D

      Delete
    2. Might I suggest Pinterest to organize all your decorating ideas, Heather? It's a solitary pastime, so you don't have to involve the spouse as much. And they appreciate it, let me tell you. ;o)

      Delete

talk to me